BioASQ is an international challenge on large-scale biomedical semantic indexing and question answering. It has been running for 8 years and has created a very active ecosystem of Artificial Intelligence research teams, who participate in the challenge. The teams make use of the BioASQ benchmark datasets and help push the state of the art in biomedical semantic indexing and question answering. The impact of BioASQ in the field has been acknowledged by academic and corporate stakeholders, among which the US National Library of Medicine. Our goal is to extend BioASQ with new innovative shared tasks, such as the support of research on current biomedical problems (e.g. the COVID-19 pandemic).
We are looking for a Research Engineer to:
- help design, implement, and support the technical infrastructure used in the BioASQ challenges,
- extend the BioASQ infrastructure to handle novel tasks, such as the discovery of therapies for the COVID-19 pandemic,
- participate in the development and maintenance of applications for the communication with biomedical experts and the participants.
- Developing, maintaining and deploying infrastructure software for the challenges
- Creating and maintaining tools to facilitate the dataset curation procedure
- Collaborating with biomedical experts
- Handling technical issues regarding the dataset curation and the challenges
- Studies in Informatics/ Computer Science/ Electrical Engineering or related field
- Experience in software design and development
- Very good knowledge of Java or/and Python
- Basic knowledge of web technologies (HTML, CSS and JS)
- Knowledge and experience in SQL and NoSQL (MongoDB) databases
- Good knowledge of English
- Experience in server-side deployment (Apache) and web interfaces (API and REST)
- Experience in data analysis and management Experience with version control systems (Git/SVN etc.)
- Experience with Django
- Working for one of the largest European Artificial Intelligence Laboratories
- Participating in a truly international research effort, spanning all continents
- Contributing to solving real-life biomedical research problems such as the COVID-19 pandemic.
For more information about the position and for applications, please send your CV to Mrs. Dora Katasmori (email@example.com).